American Civil War Monuments
Providence Spring House
Andersonville National Historic Site
Photos and text courtesy of LCWRT Member Charlie Moore
In the summer of 1864, tens of thousands of Union prisoners of war were suffering from disease and thirst at the Confederate military prison in Andersonville, Georgia. On August 8th, a five day period of rain began which ended in extremely violent thunderstorms. Stockade Creek, which ran down the middle of the camp and was its only source of water, overflowed its banks carrying away large quantities of accumulated filth with its strong current. A spring suddenly appeared within the stockade to give the men their first taste of cool, clean drinking water since their entry into the camp. Before, they had to rely on the highly polluted waters of Stockade Creek and then only where it entered the camp. Many of the men believed that the spring was the result of “divine intervention”. The spring was enclosed within a large stone shelter by Union veteran groups in 1901. Providence Spring can be found on a slope below the reconstructed walls of the prison. Of the 45,000 men incarcerated at Andersonville, more than 13,000 died.